I was recently asked a question about whether it is okay to give our children more than one gummy Vitamin a day...
Gummy Vitamins are made by keeping kids in mind and usually have relatively low doses of many vitamins and minerals. (they are usually not even 100% of the recommended daily value). So in most cases taking 2 or 3 vitamins a day are most likely not going to cause any problems. (2 gummies a day is often the recommended serving size on many brands and for kids that are 4+) Again check your label.
Even with that said-- it is still possible to overdose if you eat more than the recommended daily allowance of some vitamins. If your child has gotten a hold of the vitamins and eaten them like candy-- or even consistently over time is getting excess of some vitamins I would be worried-- You can call poison control just in case!
Here are the main concerns:
Gummies with IRON (check your label) present the biggest danger of overdose problems. If your gummies do contain Iron- and your child has eaten quite a few, it may be wise to call the Poison Control Hotline. (most children's gummies don't contain Iron). Iron poisoning can be fatal.
There are also two categories of vitamins- water soluble(B,C) and fat soluble(vitamins A,D,E,K).
Fat-soluble vitamins(A,D,E, and K) may also pose a risk of overdose. These vitamins are stored in the body if an excess amount is taken.
Too much vitamin A can be dangerous. One of the first signs of this is yellowish-orangeish skin. Many of the first signs of the these vitamin overdoses are nausea, vomiting, bloating, constipation or other Gastrointestinal problems.
Water soluble vitamins, such as vitamin C, are really no danger in terms of overdose because any excess taken will be flushed out and leave the body during urination. Your child's urination may turn a darker color and may have an odor.
Excess Niacin (Vitamin B3) may cause a rash or red flushing of the skin. This should subside after a few hours of the overdose-- so nothing to worry about.
It is better to be safe than sorry. Store the vitamins out of reach of children and read the label and follow the recommended serving amounts and you won't have to worry.