7.23.2010

Summer Snack = Frozen Grapes

After buying a huge bunch of big, crisp, grapes last night (.89 cents a pound.... you can't beat that), I was reminded of one of my favorite summer time quick snacks and thought why I have not shared this with you all yet??!? 
Frozen Grapes.  
They are perfect on a hot summer day (we have had plenty of those this past week here in Iowa- hot, humid, muggy). When I come in from work, I head to the freezer, grab a handful, and am satisfied for the hour or so before dinner is ready.  I love that they have the harder outer shell but as soon as you bite into them they are soft and delish! I am a candy lover, so because of the sweetness, these are about the closest thing that comes to candy-- in a healthy form.  Plus they are bite-size, easy, and super convenient. Introduced them to the hubby this summer and he was an instant fan. Plus when there are just two of you, it isn't always easy to eat the whole bag of grapes before they get mushy..... this solves our problem and we have plump grapes for weeks.

For those of you who have never tried frozen grapes before, here's the low-down on how it's done.  
Easy peezy. 
1. Wash Grapes thoroughly
2. Pick off from the stems
3. Set individual grapes on paper towel and dry off
4. Put in zip-lock baggy and store in freezer
5. Let freeze for 5+ hours and enjoy

Use within 1-2 weeks for tastiest grapes.  They will stay good pretty much forever but they may tend to lose their sweetness if you leave them in the freezer for too long.
I like to add them in my cold cereal in the morning. The hubby things I am weird but I love the contrast of the crunch of the grapes with the softer cereal. Plus they help keep your milk super cold. Try it and let me know if you are a fan.
-Other uses: add to yogurt, top your ice cream, put in smoothies.

Nutrition Info on Grapes (for 1 cup or 92 grams)
-60 calories
-0 grams of fat
-Are high in antioxidants (vitamin C, resveratrol)- help protect against heart disease and may decrease some cancer risks. 
-Contain manganese, Vitamin B6, Thiamine, and Potassium
Plus frozen grapes take longer to eat so you will most likely eat less.

Click here for other tips on freezing fresh fruits and veggies.

1 comment: