12.11.2009

Butternut Squash Soup


It had been awhile since I had had a butternut squash, so while at the grocery store the other day I picked up a Butternut Squash. I happened to be watching the Food Network the next day when I saw Giada make a soup that looked delicious, so I gave it a try. Click here for the recipe.  I thought it turned out pretty good- a little thicker than I thought, but overall tasty.. I did make a few changes. I didn't have sage so instead I added some Thyme . I think when I make it again I will add nutmeg and some cinnamon to give it a bit more spice flavor. I would also add just a bit more water, chicken broth, or milk to make it a little less thick.. just a little though.  Not only was it tasty but super healthy(low in calories and high in vitamins and minerals).

Here's a bit of nutrition info on Butternut Squashes:  The chart below shows the % of each nutrient that you are getting from 1 cup of Winter Squash......

WOW.... In just 1 cup of the butternut squash you are getting 150% of your daily recommended amount of Vitamin A(move over carrots).  Vitamin C, Potassium, Fiber, Folate, Omega 3 fatty acids are also in the squash.
Next time you are at the grocery store, grab a butternut squash and try a new recipe.  You too will see how delicious they can be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment