The BAD Fats are Saturated Fats. Focus on limiting these. Food Sources include: Red Meats, Butter, Milk, Yogurt, Ice Cream, Cheese, Eggs, Coconut, & Palm Oils. Saturated fats raise your total cholesterol, raise LDL(the bad) cholesterol, and increase your risk for heart disease.
The UGLY Fats are Trans Fats. Avoid these at all costs. Food Sources include: shortening, stick margarine, commercially packaged items: sweets, cookies, crackers, cakes, Doughnuts, Fast food-most fried foods. Trans fat Increase your risk for heart disease, Lower HDL(the good) cholesterol, & Raise LDL(the bad) cholesterol.
- Use lower-fat version dairy such as 1% or skim milk instead of whole milk.
- Grill or Broil over Frying!
- Remove the skin from chicken/turkey —the skin is where the majority of the bad fat is.
- Rinse off melted fat from cooked ground meats before serving.
- Cut butter or margarine in half when making boxed meals.
- When baking, replace 1 cup shortening or butter with ½ c. applesauce & ½ c. vegetable oil.