10.07.2009

Ditching the Diets.

During my undergrad at Utah State University one of my awesome Professors was a firm believer of the 'Intuitive Eating' concept of Evelyn Tribole. We were assigned to read the book by the same title, and it made total sense to me. I never liked the concept of the crazy yo-yo diets…. So since reading the book I have tried to follow its concepts. It hasn’t always been easy but I have found that when I honor my hunger truthfully I make wise choices and am able to stay healthy and within in my goal weight…

Here are the 10 main principles of the concept taken from the Intuitive Eating website.

1. Reject the Diet Mentality: Throw out the diet books and magazine articles that offer you false hope of losing weight quickly, easily, and permanently.
2. Honor Your Hunger: Keep your body biologically fed with adequate energy and carbohydrates. Otherwise you can trigger a primal drive to overeat.
3. Make Peace with Food: Call a truce, stop the food fight! Give yourself unconditional permission to eat.
4. Challenge the Food Police: .Scream a loud "NO" to thoughts in your head that declare you're "good" for eating under 1000 calories or "bad" because you ate a piece of chocolate cake
5. Respect Your Fullness: Listen for the body signals that tell you that you are no longer hungry.
6. Discover the Satisfaction Factor: When you eat what you really want, in an environment that is inviting and conducive, the pleasure you derive will be a powerful force in helping you feel satisfied and content.
7. Honor Your Feelings Without Using Food: Find ways to comfort, nurture, distract, and resolve your issues without using food.
8. Respect Your Body: Accept your genetic blueprint.
9. Exercise--Feel the Difference: Forget militant exercise. Just get active and feel the difference. Shift your focus to how it feels to move your body, rather than the calorie burning effect of exercise.
10. Honor Your Health:--Gentle Nutrition Make food choices that honor your health and tastebuds while making you feel well. Remember that you don't have to eat a perfect diet to be healthy.

Love the Body you are in…. then do something to make it better!

As women we like to nit-pick everything about our body. Too tall, too short, too big of booty, too fat, hair too straight, etc…. I could go on and on. But I want this post to be about celebrating your UNIQUENESS and loving YOU-even with your less than perfect attributes.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, my name is Mika!

    I'm still quite new to the site, but I just wanted to invite you to check out my movie review blog at http://filmtub.blogspot.com/ . I hope you'll like it and I would love to hear your opinion about it.

    ReplyDelete