8.31.2009

Makeover Avocado? .. Result = SlimCados



I was at my local Grocery store (Hy-Vee, which I love) and I noticed they are now carrying "SlimCados." I had heard of these avocado like items before but never once seen them at my local grocery store. Your typical avocados normally are packed with calories and fat and although avocados have gotten lots of good press because they are loaded with healthy fats (monounsaturated), you can't forget that good fat still is fat and still has 9 calories for every gram of fat eaten. So moderation is still key. So if this supposedly 50% less fat and 35% less calorie lite 'SlimCado' is a tasty and more healthy alternative to the regular high fat and calorie avocados, why not give them a try. So I did..... and these are my conclusions.

How to know when ripe? If they give in just a little to the touch.

My SlimCado vs. Typical Avocado
-Double the size
-Outside is brighter, shinier green.
-A bit tougher cutting into it.
-Pit came easily out... lighter in color but looking like a mini brain.
-Inside color was similar but slightly lighter green.




Now the important stuff..... Taste.
-Flat out not near as good.
-Although mine may have been not quite ripe... it did not the soft texture you are used to avocados having. Hard to bite... stringy.
-Had an almost nutty- sweet flavor.
-Distinct aftertaste that wouldn't leave my mouth forever.

Conclusion: As much as I wanted this healthy alternative to be tasty, I just couldn't bring myself to enjoy it. I'll be more happy sticking with the typical avocado eaten in moderation.

Although I found the taste not to be quite as appetizing as your typical avocado, don't just take my word on it.... go and try one for yourself. Who knows you may like the taste and it would be a great alternative for someone who is watching their calories and trying to lose weight.

After trying one comment and let me know what you thought of the SlimCados.. or how you ate them. And if you local grocery store doesn't carry slimcados, ask your produce manager to bring some in. They may be more than happy to do it for you.
For further info on 'slimcados' click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment